Math 5 Grading and Classroom Policies
This year in math we will continue using the Common Core Curriculum. We will build on last year’s math skills and learn exciting new content. There is no text book. Students will be using a binder and will be given a packet for each unit of study. Also included in their binders will be some guided notes and homework problems. In addition, students are expected to have mastered the basic facts. The five minute timed tests will be given to assess their mastery. Students who have not reached mastery will be encouraged to stay for ELT for practice and re-testing. I will send home information with practice days for those students who need the extra work.
Students will use a 3-ring binder
Students will need a good supply of pencils. (no pens allowed)
Students will also require a white board marker.
Homework will be assigned generally every day. The homework is a review of the day’s lesson. All homework will be written in the assignment planner daily during math class.
All homework assignments are checked for completion and reviewed in class. Many questions and learning take place during the homework review.
10 points given for completed work that is on time (due their class period) and done neatly
5 points will be given to partially completed work, or work that is turned in the next day. (Exception-school absence)
0 points will be given to assignments that are more than one day late. (Exception-school absence.)
- Binders will be checked periodically for organization, completion of class work and neatness. Binder checks may not always be announced.
- There will be a quiz every Friday as the calendar allows. It will consist of 4 questions taken from the week’s homework/work assignments. It is worth 20 points. There will also be a test at the end of each unit. Students will be given one week’s notice of the upcoming unit test. The unit tests are worth 100 points.
- If a student is absent from school, it is the student’s responsibility to see me regarding missed work.
- If a student is absent for 3 days or more, as per the EAMS handbook, parents may call the main office to arrange pick up of missed work.
- It is the student’s responsibility to notify me of a music lesson. They are still expected to hand in the previous day’s assignment and to complete the day’s work and homework.