Anchors (or bookmarks)
Anchors or bookmarks allow visitors to move quickly and easily within the content of your page.
Placing bookmarks in an article, for instance, will allow visitors to
move easily within that article. If you have bookmarked items on a page and link them to menu items at the top of a page,
for instance, a visitor can move to the bookmarked items simply by
clicking on their titles in the menu. If you place a bookmark at the
top of a page, visitors can return to the top of that page by clicking on the words "Top of Page." Bookmarks, however, are invisible to the visitor.
In order for a bookmark to work, you must do two things in this order:
- Insert the bookmark on the page.
- Create a link (using the Insert Link icon) at another place on the page that will jump to the bookmark.
To insert the bookmark on the page:
1. Open the Schoolwires editor and edit the desired page.
2. Place the cursor where you want to anchor to be placed (i.e. the spot you want to "jump to").
3. Click on the Bookmark tool (little blue flag - 4th icon from the left on the second row).
4. Enter a one-word name for the anchor (top, bottom, paragraph4, or whatever).
You now have an anchor to which you can link.
To create the link to the bookmark you created in the steps above:
5. Enter the text that will be the link to your anchor (i.e. Return to top, Go to end, Paragraph #4, or whatever).
6. Highlight the text, and click on the Insert Link tool (5th icon from the left on the second row).
7. Select option 4: Insert a link to a bookmark in this page... and click Next.
8. Enterthe name of the anchor you created in step 4 above and click Next.
9. Click Insert Link.
You now have a link that allows you to jump to another location on the page.