EAPTO/ELEM Public Meeting
Minutes from September 24, 2012
BOARD PRESENT: Lori Gervasi, Andra Halpinn, Terri Ohlweiler, Lynn Kittson, Colleen Klimchuk
LOCATION: Parkdale Library
TIME: 6:30 PM
President’s Report - Lori Gervasi
- Great event! Well received by faculty, staff & students
- Thank you to Traci Bartello for excellent planning!
- Pedometers were a big hit! Thanks to BCBS of WNY for the donation
- Most successful fundraiser in 4-5 years
- Goal of $10,000. Final report of donations will be given after Fall Festival.
- Ideas for next year - prizes for most $ raised, most pledges
- Several classes wrote Thank You notes to the PTO
- Picture Day
- Organizing volunteers, lunches
- Full volunteer form goes home 9/25
- Walk Your Child to School Day
- Looking for possible apple donations
- Due to higher prices may need to purchase
- Fall Festival
- Tent will be set-up Wednesday at 4pm
- Looking for (portable) lighting
- Still looking for volunteers
- High school students may be recruited for Community Service hours
- Outdoor events include: ice cream cones, tractor rides, pumpkin bowling, gourd rolling & field goal kicking
- Indoor events include: Costu-Rama and Community showcase (8-9 booths of local activities)
- Need waiver for Tractor Rides
- Over 40 baskets/gift certificates have been donated for Auction
- Also will hold a Teacher Raffle for students. Selected teachers will win a Parkdale Pride sweatshirt
- Garden Club will help decorate
- Lots of interest in Pie Eating Contest. Little Loop football coaches will participate.
- Scholastic Bookfair
- Possible sales tax issue?
- Planning for set-up / take down
- Holiday Cheer
- Spanish at Parkdale
- 55 students signed-up
- 6 week sessions will be offered 3 times during the school year
- Lessons are built on a 5 year cycle to avoid repetition
- Class sizes will be under 15 students / based on age group
- Attempted to keep price low
- DPC Meeting - October 9th @ Noon - Superintendent's Office
- Need 1 representative from Elementary PTO
- New Fundraising Idea - Terracycle
- Presented by Tiffany
- Visit http://www.terracycle.com/ for more information
- Upcycling items such as Capri Sun foil and glue sticks brings $ to school
- Items such as cell phones and laptops are worth more points
- Must form a brigade to collect certain products
- Depending on items may ship for free or have to pay
- Estimated earning of $100-200
Treasure’s Report - Terri Ohlweiler
- Left-over funds from last year - $2,000 from ICE, $900 from Principal's Fund
- Last year's $2,800 from Buffalo Ski Club passes helped raise money
- Sold 19 water bottles and 7 2011-12 yearbooks at recent events
- Spirit gear sales raised $286
- Membership drive has raised $2,090 so far
- Target Red Card brought in $660 last year
- Only 31 parents / friends are registered
- We need to increase involvement in this program!!!
- Supply Squirrel
- 70 packages sold / raised $232.10
- Most parents liked program - nicely packaged / convenient
- Need to clarify shipping - Originally shipping was supposed to be free
- $20 allocated for Bulletin Boards
Principal's Report - Colleen Klimchuck
- Relocation Drill went well. Walk-a-thon seemed to prepare kids.
- Still a large number of drop-offs. This tends to decrease later in the year.
- Mixing grade levels for recreation / lunches is inevitable due to requirements. 90 minute uninterrupted time blocks of instruction are mandated for ELA, 60 minute blocks for math.
- 4th Grade band is split into two groups this year. 80 students will consolidate for concerts
- A memorial celebration for two staff members lost to cancer will be held in the spring.
- Webstore to sell spirt gear online? Will investigate before Christmas.
NEXT GENERAL MEETING: Tuesday, October 22nd in the Parkdale Cafeteria at 9:15 AM.